Mechanical Puzzle Types (Example names are in bold)
1. Put-Together Puzzles-Putting the object together is the puzzle.
1. .2 Dimensional assembly puzzles (Tangrams, Anchor, T, jigsaw,etc.)
2. .3 Dimensional assembly puzzles -Non-Interlocking (Soma,etc.)
3. .Miscellaneous put-together-(Instant Insanity, puzzle rings, etc.)
4. .Matchstick puzzles
3. Interlocking Solid Puzzles-Disassembly & assembly to solve puzzle.
6. Dexterity Puzzles-Manual dexterity is primary to solve puzzle .
1. Throw & catch (Cup & ball, etc. )
2. Rolling ball puzzles
3. Maze dexterity puzzles
4. Miscellaneous dexterity puzzles
7. Puzzle Vessels – Drinking without spilling, or filling a vessel is the puzzle. (Puzzle Jugs, Bottom fill wine & tea pots, Pitchers, etc. )
8. Vanish Puzzles – The puzzle is to explain a vanished or changed image. (Loyd’s Get Off the Earth, etc.)
9. Folding Puzzles – The puzzle is to fold a paper or hinged object, to form a specified pattern. (2D & 3D) (Fifth Pig Puzzle, etc.)
10. Impossible Puzzles – The puzzle is to explain how an object was made orwhy it behaves in a seemingly impossible way. (Arrow thru bottle, celt, etc.)